Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Alert Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
Join this event in the Mt Oxford Conservation Area. Spectacular views and a true adventure awaits.
Walk! Hikoi! Savali! Get ready to stride into autumn at The Walking Festival.
Get your yellow gear on and join this fundraising event for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren NZ Trust (GRG).
Join this team adventure race that includes mountain biking, trekking and navigation.
Join this memorial relay race for runners or walkers - a team bonding experience you won't forget and a family-friendly event.
Join this mountain bike challenge in the Burwood Red Zone as an individual or part of a team.
This is a unique annual event through Hanmer Forest amongst some amazing mountain scenery.
6-hour, 4-hour, 2-hour and 1-hour options are available for this autumn rogaine.
Grab a few team mates and join this off-road relay at Woodend Beach Holiday Park.
Each event in Christchurch 10km Walk/ Run Series will be set on a different terrain bringing a new challenge to each course and competitor.
- Join the Virtual Events Club and race with other people across New Zealand and the world each month. You can run, walk, mountain or road bike or swim. All profits from the Club goes to Ronald McDonald House.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Mt Oxford Odyssey
- The Walking Festival
- Zonta Yellow Rose Run and Walk
- Kaikoura Adventure Race
- Hagley Relays
- Red Zone 6
- Hanmer Four Square Half Marathon
- Wicked Autumn Rogaine
- Lionel Fox Relays
- Christchurch 10km Series
- Energise Fun Run
- A Quickie in the Forest
- Bivouac Outdoor Mt Isobel Challenge
- Rawhiti Races
- Wicked Rogaine Winter Series
- Canterbury Duathlon Series
- Sri Chinmoy Sumner Esplanade