Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Alert Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
Run, walk, mountain bike, road bike or swim from 21st to 28th each month. Submit your time and see your results compared to others.
This off road event is a chance to run or walk with your best friend!
Run, walk, crawl, climb, and slide around during this all-ages event, and finish a different colour than you started.
The JD Duathlons strive to provide a variety of race options for all levels and do so in a professional and safe manner. The events are suitable for all ages and fitness levels so long as you can run and ride a bike.
This series of night rogaine events for cyclists, walkers and runners will be held in local forested areas.
Join this historic New Zealand road relay from the Sign of the Takahe to Akaroa.
Join this three-race series in Bottle Lake Forest Park catering for everyone - over either 15km (Short Course) or 30km (Long Course).
Come along to Miscarriage Matters NZ's Butterfly Fun Run!
Get a group together for this team relay event.
This exciting event run is a fundraiser for Middleton Grange School.
- Join the Virtual Events Club and race with other people across New Zealand and the world each month. You can run, walk, mountain or road bike or swim. All profits from the Club goes to Ronald McDonald House.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Virtual Events Club
- 4 Paws Marathon
- Muddy Good Run Rangiora
- JD Duathlon Series
- Night Navigation Series
- Takahe-Akaroa Road Relay
- Canterbury Mountain Bike Series
- Butterfly Fun Run
- Nga Puna Wai Relay Run
- Canterbury Adventure Race
- Jackson Holmes Salmon Run
- Hunter Civil 10-Hour Day/Nighter
- Crater Rim Ultra
- Wicked Rogaines Spring Series
- Mission Mt Somers
- Hanmer Halloween Howler
- Bell Hill Challenge
- Boulder Bay Classic
- Woodbury Hill Country Challenge
- Pink Ribbon Walk
- Selwyn Running Festival
- Banks Peninsula Walking Festival
- Krayzie K's
- Corporate Challenge 5K
- Colour Zone Run
- Rolleston Kids Triathlon