Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Framework ("traffic light") Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
Take part in the Great Scenic Steps Challenge to raise funds to help beat diabetes.
Run, walk, mountain bike, road bike or swim from 21st to 28th each month. Submit your time and see your results compared to others.
Join this fast-paced cross-country running event around the Rawhiti Domain.
Join this series of SouthernCross CX events - Canterbury's answer to Cyclocross.
Get your outdoor fix at this weekend rogaine at Living Springs.
Winter Worlds is an iconic road racing series held on the outskirts of Christchurch. It provides all riders with a simple, safe and fun opportunity to race during winter and have a blast doing it.
These fun rogaines are suitable for gurus to newbies: 1-hour and 2-hour options are available.
This Duathlon Series caters for everyone and you can compete as an individual or a team - including as a family.
Join in the fun of this right royal event at Queen's Birthday weekend.
Join the inaugural Selwyn Marathon on a flat and fast loop course.
- Join the Virtual Events Club and race with other people across New Zealand and the world each month. You can run, walk, mountain or road bike or swim. All profits from the Club goes to Ronald McDonald House.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Fitbit MoveMeant Challenge
- Virtual Events Club
- Rawhiti Races
- SouthernCross CX Season
- Crazy Kea Autumn Rogaine
- Winter Worlds
- Wicked Rogaine Winter Series
- Canterbury Duathlon Series
- The Royal Derby
- Selwyn Marathon
- Heights of Winter Rogaine
- Holloway Memorial Cross Country Races
- Bridge to Bridge Ultra Marathon
- Sri Chinmoy Sumner Esplanade
- Bridge to Bridge North Mountain Bike Ride
- Winter Solstice Night Light Bike Ride
- Forest Run Fest: Frost Edition