site menu: Te Reo Māori | EnglishMenu
Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Framework ("traffic light") Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
These fun rogaines are suitable for gurus to newbies: 1-hour and 2-hour options are available.
Run, walk, crawl, climb, and slide around during this all-ages event, and finish a different colour than you started.
Come and run, walk or bike along the historic Little River Rail Trail.
Relay For Life is a fun fundraising event for the Cancer Society that brings communities together to celebrate and remember the lives of those who have been affected by cancer.
Join this short cross country run at Lake Roto Kōhatu.
Get some fresh country air at this walking festival with something for everyone.
Step outdoors and explore this autumn by trying out the local trails, walking activites and self-guided walks in Waitaha!
Join this event in the Mt Oxford Conservation Area. Spectacular views and a true adventure awaits.
Join this team adventure race that includes mountain biking, trekking and navigation.
Be part of this iconic event, taking you on a scenic tour of Christchurch landmarks.
- Join the Virtual Events Club and race with other people across New Zealand and the world each month. You can run, walk, mountain or road bike or swim. All profits from the Club goes to Ronald McDonald House.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Wicked Rogaines Autumn Series
- Muddy Good Run Christchurch
- Rail Trail Rampage
- Cancer Society Relay for Life
- Lakes Reserve Cross Country
- Methven and Foothills Walking Festival
- The Walking Festival
- Mt Oxford Odyssey
- Kaikoura Adventure Race
- Christchurch Marathon
- Red Zone 6
- Hagley Memorial Relay
- Skedaddle Trail Run
- Hanmer Four Square Half Marathon
- Wicked Autumn Rogaine
- Crazy Kea Autumn Rogaine
- Canterbury Duathlon Series