Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with the change in COVID-19 Alert Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
This series of night rogaine events for cyclists, walkers and runners will be held in local forested areas.
Join this annual 10km handicap race for adult runners organised by the Christchurch Methodist Harrier Club.
This off road event is a chance to run or walk with your best friend!
Run, walk, mountain bike, road bike or swim from 21st to 28th each month. Submit your time and see your results compared to others.
Run, walk, crawl, climb, and slide around during this all-ages event, and finish a different colour than you started.
This is part of a worldwide series of walks to help in the global fight against suicide and self-harm.
Come out and play at Tennis Canterbury's Love Tennis free regional open days.
Come and run, walk or bike along the historic Little River Rail Trail.
Come along to Miscarriage Matters NZ's first annual Butterfly Fun Run!
Join this Rakaia Lions fundraiser event around the Rakaia River and its riverbed. There is something for everyone - competitive and non-competitive, individual or teams.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Bivouac Night Navigation Series
- Governors Bay to Lyttelton Road Race
- 4 Paws Marathon
- Virtual Events Club
- Muddy Good Run Rangiora
- Darkness Into Light
- Canterbury Loves Tennis Open Days
- Rail Trail Rampage
- Butterfly Fun Run
- Jackson Holmes Salmon Run
- Hunter Civil 10-Hour Day/Nighter
- Pink Ribbon Walk
- Crater Rim Ultra
- Rolleston Kids Triathlon
- JD Duathlon Series
- Forest Run Fest: Moonlight Edition
- Nga Puna Wai Relay Run
- Mission Mt Somers
- Selwyn Running Festival
- Sri Chinmoy Pegasus Bay Classic
- Corporate Challenge 5K
- A Quickie in the Hills
- Banks Peninsula Walking Festival
- Boulder Bay Classic
- Omihi School Farm Race
- Krayzie K's