Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Alert Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
Join this off road duathlon with the run leg on sand!
Enjoy this relaxing fast run as you see vehicles racing past on the motorway.
The Sanitarium Weet-Bix TRYathlon is about kids getting out there, giving it a TRY, and improving confidence and self esteem.
Join this fun day for all the family in North Canterbury.
Join this series of fun evening sprint orienteering events on Tuesday nights in February and March.
This three-race series on Friday evenings uses Lake Crichton - the perfect venue for an entry level duathlon or triathlon. It's a fantastic way to round out your working week!
XRACE is like a giant board game brought to life for a parent and child aged 6 to 13, racing as a team.
Compete a team of 2 to 4 riders or solo in this 6-hour mountain bike event in North Canterbury.
Join this fun community-run event for the whole family.
Finish your summer in style with this unique sports challenge starting on Scarborough Beach.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- A Quickie on the Beach
- Christchurch Motorway Half Marathon
- Sanitarium Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon
- Lions Ashley River Ramble
- PAPO Summer Sprint Series
- Frontrunner Lake Crichton Series
- XRACE Christchurch
- Rakahuri Rage
- Kaiapoi Fun Run
- Sea 2 Sky Challenge
- Sri Chinmoy Southshore Estuary Evening Race
- The Bucket Run
- Le Race
- Hanmer MTB Race
- Run Ruapuna
- Wicked Rogaines Autumn Series
- Muddy Good Run Christchurch
- PhysioMed Women's Triathlon and Duathlon
- Pier to Pier Run Festival
- Forest Run Fest: Autumn Edition
- Sri Chinmoy Sumner Esplanade
- Arrowsmith Thee Races
- Cancer Society Relay for Life
- Christchurch Marathon
- Walk for Dementia
- Mt Oxford Odyssey
- Kaikoura Adventure Race
- Red Zone 6