Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Alert Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
Join this series of five Tuesday evening runs in Hagley Park North during January and February 2021.
These fun rogaines are suitable for gurus to newbies: 1-hour and 2-hour options are available.
This summer swim race series provides an opportunity to practice and gain confidence in a safe open water environment.
This three-race series on Friday evenings uses Lake Crichton - the perfect venue for an entry level duathlon or triathlon. It's a fantastic way to round out your working week!
This triathlon around Banks Peninsula is a low-cost event for athletes of all ages and all abilities.
Join this fun and run or walk amongst the picturesque hills, valleys and vineyards of Pegasus Bay to support the New Zealand Brain Research Institute.
Join this new 16km event by Krayzie K's set on the hills of Banks Peninsula.
Come along to this unique run/walk experience for the entire family packed with colour!
The event is part of the State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series.
Ride across the Rakaia River Bridge in this unique cycling event.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Shoe Clinic Asics 5K Series
- Canterbury Summer Rogaine Series
- RealSwim Race Series
- Frontrunner Lake Crichton Series
- Corsair Classic Triathlon and Duathlon
- Pegasus Bay Vine Run
- Herbert Hustle
- Rolleston Colour Fun Day
- La Grande Swim
- Ride the Rakaia
- Mt Somers Mountain Bike Race
- The Press Run to Remember
- Sheffield Rugby Mountain Bike Race
- Wicked Chinatown Rogaine
- A Quickie on the Beach
- Christchurch Motorway Half Marathon
- Sanitarium Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon
- Lions Ashley River Ramble
- XRACE Christchurch
- Rakahuri Rage
- Kaiapoi Fun Run
- Sea 2 Sky Challenge
- Le Race
- Hanmer MTB Race
- Run Ruapuna