Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Framework ("traffic light") Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
Run around beautiful Pegasus Town in this event for runners of all abilities.
This one-day festival truly has something for everyone, from kids and first timers to elite triathletes.
Join this safe family-friendly event in South Hagley Park.
Each event in this series will be set on a different terrain or location bringing a new challenge to each course and competitor.
Join this event with a course encompassing some of the most picturesque settings of Canterbury.
Join these swim races from Fit and Abel this summer.
Join this series of five Tuesday evening runs in Hagley Park North during January and February 2024.
Help the Crusaders run 10,000 laps of Rugby and Malvern parks to and raise funds for the Child Cancer Foundation.
The tough get going on this weekend of mountain event challenges.
This three-race series on Friday evenings uses Lake Crichton - the perfect venue for an entry level duathlon or triathlon.
- Join the Virtual Events Club and race with other people across New Zealand and the world each month. You can run, walk, mountain or road bike or swim. All profits from the Club goes to Ronald McDonald House.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Canterbury Half Marathon
- Pak'n Save Triathlon Festival
- Sri Chinmoy Christmas Dash
- Christchurch 10km Series
- Aotearoa Ultra Marathon
- Lake Tahi Swim Race Series
- Shoe Clinic Asics 5K Series
- The Long Run
- The James Mountain Sport Series
- Lake Crichton Series
- Wine Run
- Canterbury Classic Triathlon and Duathlon
- Pegasus Bay Vine Run