Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Framework ("traffic light") Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
Run, walk, mountain bike, road bike or swim from 21st to 28th each month. Submit your time and see your results compared to others.
This summer swim race series provides an opportunity to practice and gain confidence in a safe open water environment.
THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
This event is suitable for all ages and abilities with a challenging course - previously known as the Corsair Bay Classic.
This three-race series on Friday evenings uses Lake Crichton - the perfect venue for an entry level duathlon or triathlon.
Come along to this series of fun evening sprint orienteering events.
Create a team in your workplace for this 5km run or walk in Hagley Park.
Join this new trail running series covering three Port Hills peaks in three weeks.
Relay For Life is a fun fundraising event for the Cancer Society that brings communities together to celebrate and remember the lives of those who have been affected by cancer.
The event is part of the Banana Boat NZ Ocean Swim Series.
- Join the Virtual Events Club and race with other people across New Zealand and the world each month. You can run, walk, mountain or road bike or swim. All profits from the Club goes to Ronald McDonald House.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Virtual Events Club
- RealSwim Race Series
- Pegasus Bay Vine Run
- Canterbury Classic Triathlon and Duathlon
- Frontrunner Lake Crichton Series
- PAPO Summer Sprint Series
- Corporate Challenge 5K
- Inov8 King and Queen of the Crater
- Cancer Society Relay for Life
- La Grande Swim
- The FAST Five
- Christchurch Motorway Half Marathon
- Lions Ashley River Ramble
- XRACE Christchurch
- Sanitarium Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon
- Rakahuri Rage
- Walk for Dementia
- Sea 2 Sky Challenge
- Krank It
- Le Race
- Hanmer MTB Race
- Wicked Rogaines Autumn Series
- Muddy Good Run Christchurch