Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Framework ("traffic light") Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
Get in and start open water swimming. All abilities are welcome.
Come along to this series of fun evening sprint orienteering events.
Get off the beaten track and explore parts of Banks Peninsula on these guided weekend walks.
Join this 6-hour team mountain biking event in North Canterbury.
Join this fun community-run event for the whole family.
This is a fun, positive and supportive introductory experience to a multi-sport and triathlon event for primary school aged children.
Ride the iconic Diggler trail at Mt Hutt Bike Park.
Relay For Life is a fun fundraising event for the Cancer Society that brings communities together to celebrate and remember the lives of those who have been affected by cancer.
Get a team together for this North Canterbury rogaine. 2, 4 and 6 hour options available.
Finish your summer in style with this unique sports challenge starting on Scarborough Beach.
- Join the Virtual Events Club and race with other people across New Zealand and the world each month. You can run, walk, mountain or road bike or swim. All profits from the Club goes to Ronald McDonald House.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Introduction to Open Water Swimming
- PAPO Summer Sprint Series
- Banks Peninsula Walking Festival
- Rakahuri Rage
- Kaiapoi Fun Run and Walk
- Rolleston Kids Triathlon
- Diggler DH 2024
- Cancer Society Relay for Life
- Claverley Flat Rogaine
- Sea 2 Sky Challenge
- Wicked Rogaines Autumn Series
- DGRS Twilight Challenge
- Le Race
- McLeans Forest Trail
- XRACE Christchurch
- Rainbow Ride
- Full Moon Swim Series
- Mt Oxford Odyssey
- Muddy Good Run Christchurch
- Krank It
- Kaikoura Adventure Race
- Christchurch Marathon
- Red Zone 6
- Skedaddle Trail Run