Feeling keen to try a tri? Ready to run a fun run? Signing up for an event is a great way to stay on track with your activity goals! It puts in place a powerful personal pact that can be hugely motivating - helping you get out of bed on those cold mornings, or fit in a session after work when you don’t feel like it.
Doing an event as part of a team or with a friend, work colleague, neighbour or your whānau can create an even stronger level of accountability. Having a bunch of cheerleaders saying "Come on, let’s go!" can help keep you motivated and stick with it.
Another helpful strategy is to get active for a cause if you are motivated by supporting others. Active community events - like the Pink Ribbon Walk or Relay for Life - are a great way to do something healthy while giving back. Some events also offer training programmes to get you ready, and prizes!
There is a huge range of events to choose from in Canterbury - whether you're just starting out or looking for something more challenging. Check out the listings and links below to find upcoming events over the next few months.
Note: Some events listed may be affected with changes in COVID-19 Alert Level. Please check with the organiser for the latest updates.
This event along the Waimakariri River is suitable to bikers from age 7 upwards, on this scenic but challenging course.
Winter Worlds is an iconic road racing series held on the outskirts of Christchurch. It provides all riders with a simple, safe and fun opportunity to race during winter and have a blast doing it.
Run, walk, mountain bike, road bike or swim from 21st to 28th each month. Submit your time and see your results compared to others.
Bring along your family, your friends and your light bling to the annual Christchurch NZ Solstice Night Light bike ride.
Take part in this cross-country event on a 2km course around Motukarara Racecourse. Suitable for runners of all ages and abilites.
Join this series of SouthernCross CX events - Canterbury's answer to Cyclocross.
This Duathlon Series caters for everyone and you can compete as an individual or a team - including as a family.
This is a morning for all levels of walkers and runners to get out there, compete and breathe in the frosty forest air with your family and friends.
Join this fundraising rogaine in the varied North Canterbury countryside.
Join this scenic trail run that is part of the Hanmer Springs Winter Festival.
- Join the Virtual Events Club and race with other people across New Zealand and the world each month. You can run, walk, mountain or road bike or swim. All profits from the Club goes to Ronald McDonald House.
- Run NZ Run organises a range of FREE virtual runs that you do anywhere. You just log your distance against your chosen goal or over a chosen period.
- Christchurch City Council Events lists all sorts of events in Canterbury (formerly Be There).
- Sport Canterbury runs many events at Ngā Puna Wai - Canterbury’s new home of sport.
- NZ Running Calendar gives information on running and walking events around New Zealand.
- My Next Challenge is a new website designed to take the challenge out of finding fitness events in New Zealand. You'll find lots of awesome events catering to every fitness level happening around New Zealand.
- SportzHub's Adventure Sport provides the latest on events that enable people to get into the wilderness. They aim to help foster people into the outdoors, and have discussion forums and links to local clubs and other facilities.
- Bridge to Bridge North Mountain Bike Ride
- Winter Worlds
- Virtual Events Club
- Winter Solstice Night Light Bike Ride
- Holloway Memorial Cross Country Races
- SouthernCross CX Season
- Canterbury Duathlon Series
- Forest Run Fest: Frost Edition
- Amuri Basin Rogaine
- Hanmer 10
- Sri Chinmoy Sumner Esplanade
- Christchurch 10km Series
- Lakeside Relays
- South Island Half Marathon
- Wicked Winter Rogaine
- Krank It
- Wicked Rogaine Winter Series
- Mud Sweat and Tears Challenge