The Crater Rim Ultra is a race up and around the crater rim of the beautiful and picturesque Port Hills. Five distances are available: 83km Crater Rim Ultra, 53km Crater Rim, 30km Bellbird Buster, 22km Kiwi Challenge, and 10km Rapaki Rumble. Shorter distance runs are also available for children (800m, 1 or 2km Hansen Park Dash).
Date: Sunday 15th October 2023.
Start Time: 5am for the 83km event, 7.15am for 53km event, 9.15am for the 30km event, 9.30am for 22km event and 10.15am for 10km event. The children's events begin from 12.50pm.
Start Location: Port Hills Athletics Club Rooms (Hansen Park, Opawa). The Crater Rim event actually starts from the Diamond Harbour Rugby Grounds with transport cost included in the entry fee.
Cost: An additional fee of $15 applies to all late entries - except for the Hansen Park Dash. No late entries will be excepted for the Crater Rim Ultra, Crater Rim or Bellbird Buster.
- Crater Rim Ultra (83km): $255 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $265 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter.
- Crater Rim (53km): $210 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $220 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter.
- Bellbird Buster (30km): $125 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $135 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter.
- Kiwi Challenge (22km): $65 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $75 for others. Must be 16 years + to enter.
- Rapaki Rumble (10km): $45 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $55 for others. Must be 14 years + to enter.
- Hansen Park Dash (800m, 1 or 2km): $5 per child. Must be 6 years and under to enter the 1km event, and 7 to 15 years for the 2km event.
Find out more about the Crater Rim Ultra, including how to enter.
This is an ideal introduction to trail running in a competitive environment. This trail run with stunning views is not to be missed.
Many competitors return for the challenge and the scenic nature of the course which overlooks both the Canterbury Plains and Lyttelton Harbour. The event also attracts interest from outside Christchurch and is a popular build-up to the Kepler Challenge.
Conditions for the event in early Spring can vary from a hot fine day to extremely wet and cold (as encountered in 2007).
- Night Navigation Series
- Muddy Good Run Rangiora
- Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence Races
- Loburn 68 Canterbury Road Relay
- 4 Paws Marathon
- Zonta Yellow Rose Run and Walk
- Jackson Holmes Salmon Run
- Butterfly Fun Run
- Crater Rim Ultra
- Ride the Rakaia
- Mission Mt Somers
- Boulder Bay Classic
- Pink Ribbon Walk
- Wicked Rogaines Spring Series
- Clifftop Challenge
- Hunter Civil 6-Hour Blast
- Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence Ultra Race
- Corporate Challenge 5K
- Selwyn Stampede
- Longbeach Coastal Challenge
- Colour Zone Run