THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19 ALERT LEVEL RESTRICTIONS.
The Crater Rim Ultra is a race up and around the crater rim of the beautiful and picturesque Port Hills. Five distances are available: 83km Crater Rim Ultra, 53km Crater Rim, 30km Bellbird Buster, 22km Kiwi Challenge, and 10km Rapaki Rumble. Shorter distance runs are also available for children (1 or 2km Hansen Park Dash).
Date: Sunday 17th October 2021.
Start Time: 5am for the 83km event, 7.15am for 53km event, 9.15am for the 30km event, 9.30am for 22km event and 10.15am for 10km event. The children's events begin from 12.50pm.
Start Location: Port Hills Athletics Club Rooms (Hansen Park, Opawa). The Crater Rim event actually starts from the Diamond Harbour Rugby Grounds with transport cost included in the entry fee.
Cost: An additional fee of $15 applies to all late entries - except for the Hansen Park Dash. No late entries will be excepted for the Crater Rim Ultra, Crater Rim or Bellbird Buster.
- Crater Rim Ultra (83km): $255 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $265 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter.
- Crater Rim (53km): $205 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $215 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter.
- Bellbird Buster (30km): $120 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $130 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter.
- Kiwi Challenge (22km): $60 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $70 for others. Must be 16 years + to enter.
- Rapaki Rumble (10km): $40 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $50 for others. Must be 14 years + to enter.
- Hansen Park Dash (1 or 2km): $5 per child. Must be 6 years and under to enter the 1km event, and 7 to 15 years for the 2km event.
Find out more about the Crater Rim Ultra, including how to enter.
This is an ideal introduction to trail running in a competitive environment. This trail run with stunning views is not to be missed.
Many competitors return for the challenge and the scenic nature of the course which overlooks both the Canterbury Plains and Lyttelton Harbour. The event also attracts interest from outside Christchurch and is a popular build-up to the Kepler Challenge.
Conditions for the event in early Spring can vary from a hot fine day to extremely wet and cold (as encountered in 2007).
- Virtual Events Club
- 4 Paws Marathon
- Muddy Good Run Rangiora
- JD Duathlon Series
- Night Navigation Series
- Takahe-Akaroa Road Relay
- Canterbury Mountain Bike Series
- Butterfly Fun Run
- Nga Puna Wai Relay Run
- Canterbury Adventure Race
- Jackson Holmes Salmon Run
- Hunter Civil 10-Hour Day/Nighter
- Crater Rim Ultra
- Wicked Rogaines Spring Series
- Mission Mt Somers
- Hanmer Halloween Howler
- Bell Hill Challenge
- Boulder Bay Classic
- Woodbury Hill Country Challenge
- Pink Ribbon Walk
- Selwyn Running Festival
- Banks Peninsula Walking Festival
- Krayzie K's
- Corporate Challenge 5K
- Colour Zone Run
- Rolleston Kids Triathlon