The Crater Rim Ultra is a race up and around the crater rim of the beautiful and picturesque Port Hills. Four distances are available: 53km Crater Rim Ultra, 30km Bellbird Buster, 22km Kiwi Challenge, and 10km Rapaki Rumble. Shorter distance runs are also available for children (1 or 2km Hansen Park Dash).
Date: Sunday 18th October 2020.
Start Time: 6.45am for 53km event, 9.15am for the 30km event, 9.30am for 22km event and 10.15am for 10km event. The children's events begin from 12.50pm.
Start Location: Port Hills Athletics Club Rooms (Hansen Park, Opawa).
Cost: An additional fee of $15 applies to all late entries - except for the Hansen Park Dash. No late entries will be excepted for the Crater Rim Ultra or Bellbird Buster.
- Crater Rim Ultra (53km): $205 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $215 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter. You can also enter as a 2-person team for this event.
- Bellbird Buster (30km): $120 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $130 for others. Must be 18 years + to enter.
- Kiwi Challenge (22km): $60 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $70 for others. Must be 16 years + to enter.
- Rapaki Rumble (10km): $40 for Athletics NZ registered participants and $50 for others. Must be 14 years + to enter.
- Hansen Park Dash (800m, 2 or 4km): $5 per child. Must be 6 years and under for the 800m event, 7 to 12 years to enter the 2km event, and 13 to 15 years for the 4km event.
Find out more about the Crater Rim Ultra, including how to enter.
Entries are limited to 250 entrants for the Crater Rim Ultra and Bellbird Buster events - closing at midnight on Sunday 30th September 2020 or when full. Entries for all other events close at 3pm on Sunday 17th October 2020.
This is an ideal introduction to trail running in a competitive environment. This trail run with stunning views is not to be missed.
Many competitors return for the challenge and the scenic nature of the course which overlooks both the Canterbury Plains and Lyttelton Harbour. The event also attracts interest from outside Christchurch and is a popular build-up to the Kepler Challenge.
Conditions for the event in early Spring can vary from a hot fine day to extremely wet and cold (as encountered in 2007).
- Bivouac Night Navigation Series
- Governors Bay to Lyttelton Road Race
- 4 Paws Marathon
- Virtual Events Club
- Muddy Good Run Rangiora
- Darkness Into Light
- Canterbury Loves Tennis Open Days
- Rail Trail Rampage
- Butterfly Fun Run
- Jackson Holmes Salmon Run
- Hunter Civil 10-Hour Day/Nighter
- Pink Ribbon Walk
- Crater Rim Ultra
- Rolleston Kids Triathlon
- JD Duathlon Series
- Forest Run Fest: Moonlight Edition
- Nga Puna Wai Relay Run
- Mission Mt Somers
- Selwyn Running Festival
- Sri Chinmoy Pegasus Bay Classic
- Corporate Challenge 5K
- A Quickie in the Hills
- Banks Peninsula Walking Festival
- Boulder Bay Classic
- Omihi School Farm Race
- Krayzie K's