A Green Prescription (GRx) gives you access to personalised physical activity advice and support, including:
- Free consultations (on the phone or face to face) with a qualified and experienced physical activity coach where you can talk through:
- your lifestyle and current level of physical activity;
- any barriers you have to being more active;
- a plan of activity suited to your individual needs, and activities you will enjoy; and
- what ongoing support you would like (such as monthly support phone calls for the next few months).
- Access to the Be Active Programme which gives participants the opportunity to:
- try a range of activities in a safe and supportive environment;
- discuss topics that support a healthy lifestyle; and
- enjoy the support of the other participants and Green Prescription staff.
- Entry to ‘Have a Go’ sessions where you can:
- try new activities at "taster" sessions to see if you enjoy them; and
- connect with local sport and activity providers.
You need a referral to get a Green Prescription, and you do this by one of the following methods:
- Completing an online Green Prescription Self Referral form.
- Calling the Green Prescription team at Sport Canterbury on 0800 ACTIVE (0800 22 84 83).
- Asking your doctor or practice nurse on your next visit to your medical practice.
- Calling your medical practice and requesting a Green Prescription referral.
A member of Sport Canterbury's Green Prescription team will contact you to organise a consultation once your referral is complete.
Learn how 33 year old Jennine went from feeling unfit to taking part in the City2Surf thanks to a Green Prescription.
The Green Prescription progamme is being offered to University of Canterbury students on campus to help support their health and wellbeing.
- Keep moving during COVID-19
- Benefits of being active
- Recommended daily activity
- Easy ways to move more
- Getting started
- Support programmes
- Keeping motivated
- Parents and caregivers
- Under fives
- Children and young people
- Older adults
- Active with a disability
- Active with a health condition
- Expecting and new mums